Hurricanes come with numerous potential dangers. Floodwater, strong winds, and the general impact of hurricanes can be devastating to homes, families, and businesses. This is the reason why every household should prepare for hurricane season. Among other things, electrical safety must one of the priorities. If you still have some unresolved electrical issues at home, now is the perfect time to call an emergency electrician. It is best to fix all electrical problems before hurricane season reaches its peak.
Here are some tips from a local emergency electrician before, during, and after a major storm:
Before the storm:
- Keep phones and all communication devices charged.
- Be sure to keep all electronics in elevated areas, away from floodwater.
- If your home does not have a whole-house surge protector, be sure to turn off your circuit breakers before the storm hits your area.
- Hire an emergency electrician Wilmington, NC for the installation of standby generators. As for using portable generators, follow the guidelines listed in the manual.
During the storm:
- Do not operate portable generators inside closed and poorly ventilated areas. Use portable generators accordingly as prescribed in the manual.
- Never directly connect a generator to a building’s electrical system unless a transfer switch has been installed by a licensed electrician.
After the storm:
- Hire WHS Electricians LLC to inspect any water-damaged electrical equipment. Never use any equipment that has been exposed to or submerged in water. Be sure to have an electrician check everything before usage.
- Do not turn on the circuit breakers unless a thorough inspection of your system has been completed.
- Be sure to report any downed power lines to your electrical company. Never go near downed power lines. Always assume that they are live to avoid electrocution.
- Avoid flooded areas since they could be electrified. Even non-conductive materials can conduct electricity when wet.
After a hurricane, it is important to hire an electrical contractor to assess your home’s electrical system. There are instances wherein the damages are not apparent which is why a thorough examination must be done. In order to make sure that all electrical components are working, an inspection must be made and electrical repair is done.
As for hiring an electrician, be sure that you hire someone who is licensed, insured, and has a good reputation in the industry. Never deal with anyone who is marketing their services for twice the price. There will be some storm chasers that will take advantage of the vulnerable. Be sure that you are not one of these people who fall victim to scammers. Only hire an electrician who can deliver good results in a time when you need one the most.
If you are in need of an electrician after this hurricane season, you may call on WHS Electricians LLC. You may reach us at (910) 408-5448.
WHS Electricians LLC
Wilmington, NC 28409